Monday, April 2, 2012

DK books

Do you have any of these Eyewitness books in your library/media center?

 

They are from Dorling Kindersley (DK) publishing and they are FABULOUS!

I recently had a parent donate a set of these books and as I was processing them, I realized that we already had several sets of these books in the Reference section.  No one ever uses the Reference section and I hadn't, at the time, gotten around to weeding, rearranging and organizing that section yet. 



When I discovered that we had so many of these books that were just sitting on the shelves collecting dust, I decided to move them to the non-fiction section and allow students to check them out.


WOW!  Those books fly off the shelf every week.  You would think they were Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Dork Diaries books.  I don't know if it's because they are easy to spot on the shelf or if it's because the pictures in the books are fascinating, but whatever the reason, I am so glad that I decided to move them because those books are attracting kids that don't normally enjoy non-fiction reading.  I wish I had done it sooner.

So if you have these books in your library/media center, where do you keep them and are they regularly used?  If you don't have them, I highly recommend getting some the next time you have some money.  If you do have them, I highly recommend keeping them in the non-fiction section making them readily available for check out.

Just something to consider.



4 comments:

  1. Oh yes! They are well-loved and pretty worn out in my library. I shelve them throughout the non-fiction section. In fact, I need to order replacement copies for many of them; they are falling apart from use! Great books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto for my school library. They love them and I try to add new titles every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear they aren't collecting dust. The kids really do love these books, and are hopefully learning something,too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh,the books are the friend of us,aren't they?
    document

    ReplyDelete