Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Encyclopedia Skills for 3rd-5th


Back in October, I did some encyclopedia lessons with 3rd-5th grades, but because I was busy with Book Fair planning I didn't get a chance to post about it.  Anywho...here's what I did... 


I used part of my reference PowerPoint to cover how to use an encyclopedia.  You can find a copy of that PowerPoint HERE and on my freebies page.




This is a research sheet that I send home as we are talking about searching for information in various places, like in book and on the Internet.  You can download a copy of it HERE or click on the picture above. It is also on my freebies page.

Then I sent groups of 4-6 students on a hunt to find specific information.  They could work together in the group to find the answer, but each person in the group had to answer at least one question and write their name next to the question they answered so that I could see that everyone participated.

I did not have access to enough computers and mobile devices for everyone, so we used good old fashioned bound encyclopedias.  Chances are they will be asked on state tests how to look up information in a print encyclopedia as well as an online encyclopedia, so it was good for them to practice this way.  You can get a copy of those practice sheets HERE or by clicking on the picture above.  I will also put a link on my freebies page.

So far this year I've covered dictionaries, thesauri, encyclopedias and online searching.  Next up is note taking skills and then after Christmas we move into atlas and almanac skills. What information literacy skills are you teaching right now?



3 comments:

  1. I am teaching my 3rd-5th graders how to make proper citations for print and digital resources. This resource will fit right in! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the many resources you make available for use for free.

    ReplyDelete