Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Creepy Fun

Creepy Carrots!
$12.58 on Amazon

I have been using the book Creepy Carrots! by Aaron Reynolds with my kindergarten and fourth grade classes for a little Halloween fun.


I am trying to get over a little cold and don't have much of a voice, so I found this YouTube video of someone reading the book and showed it to both my kindergarten and fourth grade classes.



For my kindergarten classes, we discussed what type of book this was...fiction...and what made it fiction.  Then I let them draw their own creepy carrot.  You can download the coloring sheet for free HERE.


Here are some of the finished products.  

You may remember from THIS post that one of my requirements, er, um, goals this year is to get STEM certified.  To do that, I have to teach 5 STEM lessons. I decided to do a STEM lesson based on this book.


I found THIS fun Creepy Carrots! STEM lesson  from Smart Chick Teaching Resources on Teachers Pay Teachers.  Students had to create a fence that would contain a carrot using the fewest number of craft sticks, but the fence had to be as high as the carrot was tall.



Here are a few of their project designs.  Some were more successful than others, but they all seemed to have a good time with it.

Overall, it was a pretty fun, if not creepy week.  What fun things do you do for Halloween?


*I'm an affiliate for things I've bought or used personally.  If you click through any referral links (if included), at no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you make a purchase.  Thank you for your support in this way.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, I can't seem to get the coloring sheet. When I click on it, there is just a blank screen. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just double checked the link and it is working. It is a Google doc. You will have to download it in order to save it. Maybe try changing web browsers to see if that helps.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I bought this story last year to share with my 2nd graders. I LOVE the coloring sheet so they can create their own creepy carrot! I will probably use the 2nd sheet for them to write a story about their creepy carrot and how they could change the ending of the story. Thanks for a great free resource to add to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like the freebie, Catherine. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. =)

      Delete