Thursday, December 5, 2013

New Centers!



It has been such a busy year that I haven't had a chance to change my centers much, but a few weekends ago I got busy and finished up a couple of new centers that I have been trying to put together since the beginning of the year.  I only put them out every other week because I need the tables for 2nd-5th grade lessons every other week, so maybe it wasn't noticed as much as it might have been if I had permanent weekly centers.  I was able to put out the new centers this week and the kids seem to really be enjoying them.

I was inspired by this pin I found on Pinterest to make my own library version of Connect 4.

And so I created a 4 in a Row library game.  


I found this game on Amazon over the summer. When I found it, it was only around $8.  The price is more now, but it was a good deal then so I grabbed it.


Last week I was able to get some cute book pieces made to hot glue on top to make the pieces look "library-ish."  It has been a big hit. I've had to make sure that the students know it is a 2 player only game.  I might have to invest in a second game so that more can play at one time.  You can get a copy of the game pieces to glue on to the plastic pieces here or click on the picture above.

I have been wanting to make these Find-It Shaker bottles like the ones on Sunny Days in Second Grade for the longest time.


I finally got around to typing up some library vocabulary words, printed them on card stock, laminated them and cut them out.  Then I put them into my I Spy bottles with some colored rice.  I dyed the rice at the end of the summer to have ready to put this center together. Can't believe it's taken me this long to finish it, but at least it's done.  And the kids think it's fun.  I made a little answer sheet to go with the center.  You can snag a copy of it and the vocabulary words here.


And finally, I put together my library Jenga game that I purchased from Mrs. Lodge on Teachers Pay Teachers.  As of the writing of this post, she was having a sale in her store, so you could get this pack for only $4.00.  Woot! Woot!  You can read about how she uses it in her library here.


I had to change a few questions to fit what I've been teaching in the Media Center, but the kids are having a blast with it, so it was worth the extra effort.


I have kept the puzzle center and the create your own bookmark center the same because they are so popular.  I have some free signs for the puzzle and bookmark center in my center pack which you can find here and on my centers freebies page.  So far I haven't heard any complaints that 2 centers are the same.  So I guess I am good on centers for another 9 weeks.  LOL

Do you have library centers? What are some of your favorites?


*I'm an affiliate for things I've bought or used personally.  If you click through any referral links (if included), at no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you make a purchase.  Thank you for your support in this way.


3 comments:

  1. Those look like great centers! I love the connect 4 literacy center. I have a connect 4 game in my room....so I may just adapt it to what I want! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! I am glad you found something inspirational. =)

      Delete
  2. I've just downloaded your connect 4, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete