Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Parts of a Book, Good Fit Books, and Shelf Order

Now that I am caught up on what lessons took place in August, I am ready to move on to this month's lessons.

Last week, I went over the parts of a book with Kindergarten and first grade classes.


We read this book first.


Then we completed this worksheet to review the parts of a book.



I also taught a simple lesson to 2nd grade about how to use the visual search tool on Destiny to find Good Fit Books and then they completed this worksheet to practice filling out a Destiny Search slip.  Next week I will introduce shelf order to second grade.



I reviewed call numbers with third grade and introduced ABC shelf order to them. Then they completed this worksheet.  It was a good segway into our lessons for next week...dictionary skills.


I moved on to the non-fiction section with fourth and fifth grade because they were pretty proficient in using Destiny to find fiction books.  I did my iPad Dewey scavenger hunt with them.  You can read about what I did last year here.


This year, I jazzed up the clues a bit to make it a bit more visual appealing.  I hope to have a pack ready to post on TpT very soon. I want to make sure it's generic enough to use in any Media Center, so I have to tweak what I made for my Media Center just a bit.  I will be sure to let you know as soon as it's available.

So that's what I've been up to these past few weeks.  Anything exciting going on in your Media Center this week?  Are you participating in International Dot Day?


*I'm an affiliate for things I've bought or used personally.  If you click through any referral links (if included), at no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you make a purchase.  Thank you for your support in this way.


7 comments:

  1. I just wanted to thank you for sharing your resources with us. I am using the parts of a book sheets and the alpha order sheets with my students. I look forward to your latest addition to TPT so that I can PAY you for using some of your hard work! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I am glad you are enjoying what you are finding here. Hopefully I will get time soon to add more posts and products. =)

      Delete
  2. Thank you, I was looking for a shelf order practice worksheet. Will certainly head over to TPT also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled onto your post on Pinterest. You have awesome ideas! I am going to be coming back here a lot. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I edit your ABC order sheet? In my library our call numbers look like: E/B F/Cr 811/Si B/Washington

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The document is not edit-able, but you are welcome to print, whiteout, and write in what you need. =)

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing all your wonderful lessons and ideas! I am a new librarian so this will be a big help.

    ReplyDelete