Friday, December 7, 2012

iRead, Do You?


Last year I started a punch card reward system to encourage students to read often and to read a variety of different books each month.   K and 1st grade students read 5 books a month to receive a prize and 2nd-5th have to read 5 specific types of books a month to receive a prize.


To go with the Rock Star theme this year, I designed "iReader" punch cards. The kids have loved them!  When they turn in their completed iReader, they get to pick a prize from the Rockin' Reader Prize Cart.  The Prize Cart gets pretty bare by the end of the month which means students are reading!  I spend about $80/month on prizes from Oriental Trading to load up the cart, but it's totally worth it.  You can read more about this program here.


To track our progress this year, I decided to display the iReaders in the hallway once they were turned it.  This is what it looks like so far this year.

K and 1st have their own board.  This is K's board. 


Recently I read the book Igniting A Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers by Steven L. Layne and I was inspired to create my own iReader so that I can model being a good reader.


To be fair, I made my iReader with 10 spaces.  I have been listing the title, author, AR level and number of pages for each book I read and so far, students have been very excited to see what the Book Bug is reading.  I have also challenged them to try to complete their iReader before I complete mine.  We have some really good readers here so I am sure there will be a few who will complete theirs first.

I love it when an idea works, don't you?




P.S. If you are interested in the iReaders, you can purchase a sample pack on my Teacher's Dojo store by clicking HERE or on the picture above.


Or you can purchase the complete pack by clicking here or on the picture above.

If you are using the iReaders or a similar program, I'd love to hear how it's going for you.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment