Blogger Wordpress Gadgets

Friday, February 24, 2012

Book Care

Next week I will be letting the Kinders and Firsties check out from the BIG shelves for the first time this year.  It's a big step for them and I know they are really excited about it.  To get them ready, I have prepared a review lesson about how to choose a "just right" book and also how to take care of library books.  It seems they need a gentle reminder about book care as some of their books have begun being returned with extra pictures or missing pages in them.  I found a really cute book on the Kindergarten...Kindergarten blog called Forest Friends Go to School:  A Very, Very Sad Story (With a Happy Ending!) that I downloaded, printed, and put together.  You can find that book here.  It's perfect for this lesson on book care.

And since next week is also Read Across America week I wanted to tie everything together with some cute bookmarks with a Seussy theme.  After all, using a bookmark is good book care.



Unfortunately, the original version of these bookmarks had to be taken down due to copyright issues involving the Seuss name.  Such a shame since the clipart was being used for educational purposes and in a way to encourage kids to read which is why Theodore Giesel wrote his children's books in the first place.  Kind of hypocrytical too, considering the new Seuss movie that just came out is all about how corporate greed is evil.  Just saying.  Or perhaps Stephen Colbert says it best in this video clip.



This comic spoof by Ruben Bolling hits the nail on the head, too.  Can you tell this issue has really riled me up?

Found both of these on a post from 100 Scopes Notes.  You can find that post here.


Please excuse my "Grinch"iness, but this whole business just gets up my nose.  Anyway, hope you enjoy the new version of the bookmark. You can get it here.   And hope you haven't lost your love of the true Seuss, the one who was about fostering a love of reading, not of greed.




4 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled to have come across your blog! I too am an elementary school librarian. I just started my own blog this week, and I have come across tons of teacher blogs, but not so many librarian ones. I will also make good use of your favorite blog lists. WhooHoo ... more librarian websites. We librarians are one of a kind you know! If you are interested, I can be found at www.librarypatch.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Sonya! So glad you stopped by! Congrats on starting your blog. I stopped by and joined it. It looks great, BTW. Looking forward to swapping "liberry" ideas with you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for these bookmarks, I am still struggling with gettting K and 1 students to choose the right book. I love your blog, I just started my own www.readersofthepride.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Sharron. I hope they help. Checked out your blog and became a follower. =)

      Delete