Friday, June 15, 2012

A Rockin' Start to the Summer

So, I really haven't started my Summer Vacation yet. I've been at school every day since post-planning, well, Mondays-Thursdays anyway, working on my long summer to do list and I've gotten a few things crossed off the list.  Here's what I've done so far:

I've worked on organizing and correctly cataloging the book sets in the Media Storage room.  Here are pictures of my progres:

 50 boxes of Guided Reading Sets ready for classroom use

 A close up of the labels which I made individually for each box

Here's a sample of the types of books in the sets.

22 Guided Reading Chapter Book Sets

 A Close Up of the Chapeter Book Set Labels

12 sets of 30 different books, sorted by ascending reading level

 
A close up of the label on each set

 
Each set is labeled with bright neon labels desginating what set the books belong with to hopefully help keep books together and make them easy to spot if they get mixed in with classroom library books.

The books are labeled on the front and the back.

Here they all are, nice and organized.  Isn't it purdy?  ;)

That took most of two weeks so I rewarded myself by working on decorating the MC for next year in the "Read Like A Rock Star" theme.  Here are pictures of what I've done.

I made this using PowerPoint then printed off the slides, laminated and cut everything out.  Then I just had to hang it.  It's hard to see from this picture, but it reads "Read Like A Rock Star."

Then I started on the ciruculation desk.  I made a smaller version of the bunting/flags to go here.  This is the not quite finished photo.

And here's the completed picture.

Here is my Return Books desk.

And the corner of the circulation desk.  This sign says "Welcome Rock Star Readers!"

I made a new "how to check out" sign with rock star characters.

Then, I moved on to the outside entrance.

Here's a close up of the "iReader."  The signs reads "iRead...Do U?"


And another version of the "Welcome Rock Star Readers!" sign.

I used our school's poster maker to make the signs larger. It was so much fun making all the signs and decorations.  I even made new Media Center passes, bookmarks and punch cards.  If you're interested, I've uploaded some of these items on Teachers Pay Teachers.

Click here to get the 8 pack of Media Center/Library Passes. Only $1.00!


Click here to get the Group/Table signs.  Only $1.50!


Click HERE to get the "Read Like A Rock Star" Bookmarks.  Only $2.00!


Click HERE to get the iReader Punch Card Sampler.

If you want it all, you can get the entire pack of all the signs, bookmarks, buntings, passes, punch cards...everything for $7.00.  Click here to get it now.


Although I've done quite a bit, I still have a few projects left to do like...

organize and barcode all of this stuff...

and this stuff...

and the magazines on these shelves.

But after all the hard work these last few weeks, I am ready for a break.  We leave for Port St. Joe tomorrow and I can't wait to feel the sand between my toes!

What are you busy doing this summer?



11 comments:

  1. You are inspiring! Looks so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I really hope the kids like it when they return in the fall. =)

      Delete
  2. Mrs. B....I LOVE your organization! It looks so student AND teacher-friendly. I feel like I could walk right into your library and find just what I needed! I think I am your newest follower! :) Please come visit me as well at 5thgradetomfoolery.blogspot.com I would love to hear from you!! Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your theme and I am really excited about purchasing from you and incorporating it into my school! A couple of questions...How did you get everything to stick to the circulation desk? Did it hold up well?
    April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, April. I just used masking tape, lots and lots of masking tape. It has held up all year. The black background you see is bulletin board paper. I covered the outside of the circulation desk in that first and then stuck the decor on top of that.

      Delete
  4. One more question...How did make the circulation desk signs so large?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a poster machine at school that I use to enlarge the signs I make. If your school doesn't have a poster maker some places like Office Max and Office Depot can make posters from signs and files.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your responses! I recently purchased your "Read Like a Rock Star" theme off of TPT. I did not see the check out sign included in the package. Would you be willing to send me a copy of that item? Let me know if you need my e-mail to do this. Thank you and great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey April,
      So glad you liked the package. Thanks for purchasing it. I just double checked the pack and the check out signs should be on pages 54 and 55. Let me know if you don't see them and I will reupload the packet to TpT so that I can correct it for everyone if it is missing. You will be able to download it again, without paying. Thanks! =)

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry, I mean the "how to check out" a book sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't include those in the packet because not everyone uses the same checkout procedures, but I can email you those. Just shoot me an email. jnase1@gmail.com

      Delete