Monday, May 7, 2012

We Give Books.org ROCKS!!!

Yes, I am back!  I've been M.I.A. with a nasty stomach bug, but I think I am almost feeling back to normal.  I really started feeling good at the end of last week when these arrived:


That's 289 FREE books that we received from Penguin Publishing through We Give Books.  I was so happy I started singing and didn't care who heard.


We received 6-7 copies each of 25 different chapter books including







and 7 other titles, plus


6-7 copies each of 17 different picture books including






and 5 other titles.

So, how did we get these free books?  Just by reading books on wegivebooks.org!  In February, We Give Books sponsored a capaign called Read for Your School.  When someone choose our school to read for, we got a book donated to us through Penguin Publishing after they read a book online through We Give Books. Really, really awesome!


Here's my plan for the books.  I am going to use many of the books for prizes during our last AR party of the year.  We are going to do a Bug Bingo game and winners get to pick a book for a prize.  After the party, whatever is left will go to homerooms for teachers to give to deserving students. 

So, so, so happy about receiving these amazing books. Thank you We Give Books and Penguin Publishing!

Update: As of January 1, 2016, the We Give Books website is no longer active.  =(


6 comments:

  1. We also participated in the campaign at our school. I was impressed with the books e received! I'm distributing mine to all the classrooms. Think the teachers will be pretty excited :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great selection of books. Your kids and teachers are going to looooove you! =)

      Delete
  2. That is genuinely awesome! I am so jealous. I am always looking for paperback books to use as giveaway prizes :) I will have to keep my eyes on this website for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if they will be doing the campaign again next year, but it's definitely worth watching for. I suggest you get the word out as soon as you know because the campaign closed within 10 days because the reading goal was reached. I think the goal was 150,000 books read on the site or 30 days, whichever came first. Guess everyone really wanted some free books. We were lucky to have received so many.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations and great work! What a great project! I just found this site myself a week or two ago and plan to show teachers to use with smartboards in the classrooms, but I didn't know about this project. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We Give Books is perfect for using with SMARTboard. Your teachera are going to love it! I made some bookmarks to give out at my school that have the web address listed. If you're interested, you can find the bookmarks here or here. Enjoy! =)

      Delete