Monday, February 10, 2014

Media Center Organizational Ideas for Non-fiction and Fiction Sections

Just a quick post of some organizational ideas I use in my Media Center.


I recently purchased a big batch of these babies to help organize the non-fiction section a little bit better and to give better signage for the lower readers.



I then went through each non-fiction section and used the book-stops to separate subject categories and added a label to make it easy to spot those books.


I created a non-fiction book helper based on this product from Kathryn Garcia so that my book-stops have the same pictures as my non-fiction helpers.  I did purchase this product, but realized after a few weeks, I needed to customize it based on the most popular non-fiction sections of my Media Center.



Since adding these labels and introducing the non-fiction helpers, I have seen an increase in non-fiction check outs, even from the younger students.  And I've had a decrease in questions like "Where are the basketball books?  Where are the snake books?  Where are the books about planets?"  It has been a sanity saver.  Kathryn really is a genius for thinking this one up. Stop on by her TpT store and check it out. She has lots of other great library products, too.



In our fiction area, we have a lot of books in a series, but not all of them are numbered on the spine, or the numbers are rubbing off.  I have a lot of students who like to read books in a series in order.  Sometimes it really does matter if you skip a book.  I wanted to come up with a uniform way to label books in a series.


So I purchased some of these little fellas. Well, just the white ones, and in 1/4" size.


I didn't want to crowd up the spine with a larger label, so these small circle dots work perfect.  I wrote down the series number of the book, and adhered it to the spine of the book.  Now all of our books in a series are numbered and patrons are happy to be able to find the next book in their favorite series.  It also helps make shelving easier.

Do you number books in a series?  If so, what method or types of labels do you use?  Do you have any special organizational tips to share?




12 comments:

  1. Great post about the 'nuts and bolts' of library organization! It's this kind of stuff that I feel gets overlooked when collaborating with other librarians, but it's still important! Now I'm going to go order some of those Demco book stops! Will really help my kiddos to have more non-fiction signage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it helpful, Amanda. I hope your patrons find it helpful, too. =)

      Delete
  2. I have begun the process of labeling all books in a series. I am using the site: fictfact.com to help me figure out the order of the books quickly. I bought labels at Office Depot that I can run through my printer with the numbers. It is a work in progress, but it will get done at some point. Boy, does it make it easier for my patrons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard of the site fictfact.com I willl have to check that one out.

      Numbering the books in a series really is helpful, but you're right, it does take time. Your patrons will appreciate it, though. =)

      Delete
  3. Jo, loving your blog! Thanks for sharing! I', ordering the book stops now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're finding some ideas you can use. Hope the book stops are a big hit. =)

      Delete
  4. I started putting the clip-on book stops but I ran into a problem....the bottom shelf!!! :( I am trying to figure out some other ideas. In the mean time, thank you soooo much! It looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea, and I'm anxious to try it myself. Did you type and print out the labels, use labels, write everything by hand, or something else? When I received that labels and saw that they were individual and not in sheets, I wasn't sure if I could put them through my printer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made my own labels in PowerPoint. I printed them off and then cut them out.

      Delete
  6. These book stops are exactly what I need to help the nonfiction section. Any chance you would put your inserts on tpt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to one day have the inserts available on TpT. It is on my long to do list. =)

      Delete