Friday, March 15, 2013

Reference Sources Review

Our state testing is just around the corner so to help students feel better prepared, I have created a couple of reference sources review lessons.


In October, I went over several different types of reference sources: atlas, encyclopedia, dictionary and glossary with second and third graders, almanac, atlas, dictionary, encyclopedia, and thesaurus with fourth and fifth grades.  Then I had students practice finding different information in these books.  You can read about that lesson here.


So for my review lesson, I will be reviewing each reference source and when to use them.  I will be using my Reference Sources PowerPoint to review.  You can get a copy of the 2nd-3rd grade Reference Sources PowerPoint HERE.  You can get a copy of the 4th-5th grade Reference Sources PowerPoint HERE.


Then I have created two different Reference Sources activities for students to complete as a review.  The 2nd-3rd grade version covers the atlas, encyclopedia, dictionary and glossary.  The 4th-6th grade version covers the almanac, atlas, encyclopedia, dictionary, and thesaurus.

 

Each activity includes a Reference Books definition sheet, 12 Reference Source question cards, a  Reference Source poster, and an answer sheet.  You can get the 2nd-3rd grade version here on my TpT store or the 4th-6th grade version here.

Hopefully this little review will jog their memory and keep this info fresh in their minds for testing, but also for times when they need to use these resources in real life...which is really the point of this lesson, right?

Do you have any fun ideas for teaching reference sources?



No comments:

Post a Comment